East Clare Heritage Famine Memorial Park (‘Casaoireach’)
Off road between Scariff and Tuamgraney, signposted.
Commissioned by: East Clare Heritage
Main element is an unused limestone mill wheel, made in Scariff by workhouse inmates for mill accidentally burned down in 1869. Site also includes soup kitchen pots and various markers
East Clare Heritage / Famine / Memorial Park / Opened July 20th 1997 / By Fr. Tomás Ó Caoimh
An Tasaoíreach / This is a famine graveyard. Thousands / of East Clare people were buried here / during the Great Hunger 1845-1852. / Eighteen varieties of trees representing / the indigenous trees of County Clare / have been planted in their memory. / The large circular memorial stone is / an unused mill stone intended for / the mill in Scariff which burned / down in 1869. The soup pot is a stark reminder of what some of our / ancestors depended on for their / daily sustenance. /
For further information contact / the heritage centre, Tuamgraney
Erected in memory of / Michael Mullins / 1921-1939 / and all the famine victims / buried here in unmarked graves / during the Great Hunger 1845/52 / May they rest in peace amen